With proper care you should get years of pleasure from your jewellery. Gladstones Jewellers would like to offer you the following tips:
- Wear jewellery appropriately. Take off your jewellery, especially rings, when carrying out household chores such as cleaning or gardening. They could become damaged by being knocked or coming into contact with harmful substances and abrasive materials. Cleaning compounds and garden soil contain particles of sand which in itself is abrasive. Beach holidays are another consideration.
- Immersing jewellery in hot water can damage settings where adhesive has been used. Pearl set and costume jewellery often has this type of setting and extra care should be taken.
- Beauty products such as perfume and hairspray can affect jewellery by causing discolouration. Always put your jewellery on last and never spray products directly onto the jewellery. Pearls and Amber are especially susceptible to this kind of damage
- Chlorine in swimming pools can cause damage, so you should never go swimming in jewellery.
- Settings can get clogged up with soap and hand cream. Take rings off before washing hands and using cream.
- Don’t wear too many chains together as they will tangle and rub together, causing damage.
- White metals, such as Silver, White Gold, Platinum and Palladium, are highly reflective, and show scratches much more than yellow metals, and for this reason require greater care.
- When not being worn, jewellery should be stored by being wrapped separately in soft material , to avoid stones and mounts scratching each other. Diamonds can scratch each other as well as softer stones and mounts, so always keep them separate from your other jewellery.
- Clean your jewellery regularly to keep it in good condition and have your jewellery professionally inspected on a regular basis so that your jeweller can check for loose settings and damage. At Gladstones we offer a comprehensive cleaning and polishing service, and offer a full range of professional cleaning products. A soft toothbrush is a good tool to keep your hard gemstone jewellery clean. Soft gemstones such as jade, jet, lapis, emeralds, opals, coral, amber, turquoise and any porous gemstones are of a delicate nature and require special care. Never immerse these in liquids or expose them to direct sunlight or overly humid or dry conditions. Clean simply by wiping with a soft cloth or chamois. Pearls are soft and easily damaged and should be referred to your jeweller for specialist care.